Removing invalid/incomplete multibyte or wide character in filenames

Getting an old backup, from an ante-UTF-8 era, I found out many files had filenames with some characters unreadable, or partly readable depending on the software.

I tried my urlize script first but unac (that it depends on) failed with:

unac_string: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character

The easiest way to get rid of these is simply use iconv, for instance doing in a directory with such files:

for file in *; do mv "$file" "`echo "$file" | iconv -f utf8 -c -t ascii//IGNORE`"; done

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s