Upgrading Dell Latitude C640 CPU

Just because it’s quite cheap, via ebay, I decided to upgrade my Dell Latitude C640 CPU from a 2.0 GHz P4-M (SL6FK) to a 2.4 GHz one (SL6VC). It could, in theory, get a 2.6 GHz one, but these (like SL6WZ) are way more expensive.

The Dell Latitude C640 service manual describe in lenghty details how to actually change the CPUs. There isn’t much point in describing it here: just remove the hard drive, the keyboard, then the CPU thermal cooling assembly and you can easily access the CPU socket.

After that change, the BIOS complained about a “Processor Microde Update Failure – The revision of processor in the system is not supported.”, an error message that does not prevent the system from booting succesfully. A quick check with dmidecode showed me the current BIOS was version A08 released 03/04/2003. I decided to upgrade the BIOS too, following these advices. I downloaded a windows BIOS update from dell website.  On a computer with wine available (not the case of my laptop),  I ran wine ./R71684.exe and stopped after it extracted all the files it contained, then I ran unshield x data1.cab to get the contents of this cabinet. I found a file BiosHeader/C640_A10.HDR that I copied on my laptop. On the laptop, with the package libsmbios-bin installed and the module dell_rbu loaded, I ran dellBiosUpdate -f ./C640_A10.HDR -u which returned:

Supported RBU type for this system: (MONOLITHIC)
Using RBU v2 driver. Initializing Driver. 
Setting RBU type in v2 driver to: MONOLITHIC
Prep driver for data load.
Writing RBU data (4096bytes/dot): .................................................................................................................................
Notify driver data is finished.
Activate CMOS bit to notify BIOS that update is ready on next boot.
Update staged sucessfully. BIOS update will occur on next reboot.

Then rebooted the laptop and it restarted mentioning it was now running BIOS version A10. Cpufreq works fine, everything is in order.

Advertisements

Cleaning up ogg/mp3 collection (tags, filenames) with lltag

Over years, my music collection started to get annoyingly inconsistent (file names, tags, etc). I wrote two scripts to clean it up, in the form maindir/MusicGenre/Band/Album/songs. The first one identifies albums from files, the second one does the actual job, as lltag wrapper. The point of doing it in two distinct scripts is to separate the part where user input is needed and the part that requires none but takes most CPU time.

Considering there’s an initial directory that contains a subdirectory for each music album that must be sorted out :

  • cleanup-music-directory-01-identify.pl writes a import file (containing style|band|year|album, only the year being optional) in each subdirectory, according to your input. You’ll notably have to select a music genre.
  • cleanup-music-directory-02-rename.pl reads import files and then uses lltag to do the actual job – renaming and updating tags. Best is to run in –debug mode first that will only show the proposed changes without altering anything yet; if some of your files lack the TITLE tag, it can get messy.

These two scripts must be edited first (paths to the collection and user supposedly to retain ownership of the files).